Cardiology Referrals are available in the heart of the Midlands at Brentknoll Veterinary Centre in Worcester.
Dave Fisher BVetMed CertSAC CertSAM MRCVS, RCVS Advanced Practitioner in Small Animal Cardiology and Small Animal Medicine is the clinical director and lead veterinary surgeon at Brentknoll.
Dave is available for referrals between Monday and Thursday mornings and but will see emergency as necessary.
Dave qualified from the Royal Veterinary College, London in 1985. He began working in small animal practice in 1998 where he developed a strong interest in heart and lung conditions. This resulted in him completing his post-graduate certificate in Small Animal Cardiology in 1993 and his post-graduate certificate in Small Animal Medicine in 2003.
After taking over Brentknoll Veterinary Centre from it’s previous owner back in 1993, Dave began seeing cardiology referrals from other veterinary practices.
Examples of cases seen at Brentknoll Veterinary Centre include:
- Puppy and kitten Murmurs… Significance
- Congenital heart disease of all types… Diagnosis of
- DCM (Dilated Cardiomyopathy) Large Breed dogs
- Boxer Cardiomyopathy and Associated Arrhythmias
- Cardiomyopathy Cats especially HCM (Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy)
- Acquired Valve Disease especially Mitral Valve Disease in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels
- Arrhythmia’s (Bradyarrhythmia, Tachyarrthymia) of both cats and dogs
- Exercise Intolerance and thorough investigation of
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Breed Heart testing – (Dog shows and in practice)
- Treatment reviews of difficult cases
- Pericardial drainage
- Thoracic surgery
- PDA surgery (limited experience) Fixed fee for non-insured cases.
- Emergency cases (Please Telephone 01905 355938 first)
Onsite facilities include:
- Phillips IE 33 Colour Doppler ultrasound 1-12MHz probes. NHS standard.
- 6 channel portable ECG
- Holter Monitors for 24-48 hour ECG Monitoring
- Doppler and oscillometric blood pressure monitoring
- Video Endoscopy, bronchoscopy and rigid endoscopy
- 64 slice Toshiba Aquillon CT scanner
We work closely with referring veterinary practices to ensure your clients receive nothing but the best care from us and ensure great communication from start to finish.
What to expect from a Referral:
After receiving a referral request from the referring vet (either by email, fax or phone) our referrals nurse will ensure we have the relevant history, referral letter and client. We will then contact the client directly to arrange a suitable appointment time.
Referrals begin with a 30 minute appointment with Dave. He will fully examine the patient and discuss thoroughly with the owner the treatment plans during the pet’s visit. This will usually involve diagnostic tests i.e. ultrasound, ECG monitoring etc but varies for each case.
All referral patients are discharged by Dave himself. When we discharge the patient, the findings will be discussed with the owner and they will be advised of our recommended treatment plan. A copy of this treatment plan, along with their referral report is forwarded to the referring vet and client as soon as relevant results are available.
To arrange a cardiology referral to Brentknoll Veterinary Centre please complete our referral form HERE or call us on 01905 355938